MFA, Fibers, August 2009
Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah, GA
BA, Art, December 2000
Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL
Art Guide: Denver Montessori Jr/Sr High School, August 2015- Present
Denver Public Schools, Denver, CO, USA
- Teach art and creativity classes in a farm-school environment for grades 7-10.
Assistant Professor: Craft Design Department (Fibers), September 2009- August 2013
Keimyung University, Daegu, S. Korea
- Taught studio classes in repeat pattern design, embroidery design, direct dye & immersion dye, screen printing, crochet, and craft theory.
- Advised students in individual work and process.
- Mentored students in senior project and graduation exhibitions.
- Focused educational efforts on the development of student’s creative process and critical thinking skills.
- Utilized multi-sensory teaching methods to better engage English language-learners.
- Built cross-cultural bridges through shared materials, processes and study.
Studio Technician: Fibers Department, December 2007- July 2009
Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah, GA, USA
- Managed equipment in the Fibers Department: looms, sewing machines, digital fabric printer, dye kitchen, screen printing studio.
- Instructed students on safety procedures and helped effectively use equipment and educational spaces.
- Conferenced with students for special projects and reviewed work for display.
- Coordinated with professors to maintain materials appropriate for each course offered.
- Trained and supervised five Work-Study student employees.
- Facilitated a building change by researching and ordering equipment, working collectively with the project manager and coordinating moving logistics.
Workshop Teacher: Grassroots Arts Program Grant (Georgia Council for Arts), February – March 2009
Effingham South High School, Guyton, GA, USA
Contract Art Teacher: Effingham Public Schools, March – May 2007
Telfair Art Museum, Savannah, GA, USA
Art Teacher: Art Camp, June- July 2006, June- August 2007
Department of Cultural Affairs, Savannah, GA, USA
Workshop Leader: Golden Age Senior Centers, November 2006
Telfair Art Museum, Savannah, GA, USA
Art Teacher: Middle School Art, October 2001- May 2005
Newton Middle School, Littleton, CO, USA
- Taught 2D/3D art classes for grades 6-8 according to district and state standards
- Accommodated lessons for gifted and special needs students.
- Worked collaboratively with other teachers to create a well-rounded Art program for our school.
In Context: quilts, embroidery and soft sculpture: 508 Gallery + Spaces, Daegu, Korea, March 2013
Connected: Works in Embroidery: 508 Gallery + Spaces, Daegu, Korea, May 2010
You are Here? (MFA Thesis): TruSpace Gallery, Savannah, GA, June 2009
Reclaim (Christos Collective): Gallery 970, Loveland, CO, December 2015
Reclaim (Christos Collective): Denver Seminary Bridge Gallery, Littleton, CO, August-December 2015
Presence (Art from Christos Collective): Core Gallery Annex, Denver, CO, May-June, 2015
Trashion: Tactile Textile Art Center, Denver, CO, September-October 2014
Keimyung Craft Design (Faculty Exhibition): Daeduk Gallery, Daegu, Korea, November 2012
Union of Heaven and Earth: Gukjae Art Gallery, Daegu, Korea, November 2012
Merge & Flow: Surface Design Association Conference, Minneapolis, MN, June, 2011
Retread Thread: The Textile Center, Minneapolis, MN, April-May, 2011
The Sketchbook Project: Brooklyn Art Library, Several locations, USA, February- July, 2011
Keimyung Fine Arts Department (Faculty Exhibition): Tianjin, China, December 2009
All of the Above: Blank Space Gallery, Savannah, GA, May 2009
Stitch Spectacular: Dimensions Gallery, Savannah, GA, January 2009
Fibers Department Open Studio: Gordon Hall, Savannah. GA, February 2008
Tin Cans and String: Gordon Hall, Savannah, GA, February 2007
Small Works: Red Gallery, Savannah, GA November-December 2006
Fibers Force Fine Arts Show: Red Kite Studio, Savannah, GA, November 2006
Open Studio: Alexander Hall, Savannah, GA, November 2006
SURTEX: In SCAD Fibers booth, NYC, May 2006
Sidewalk Arts Festival: SCAD, Forsyth Park, April 2006
Fibers Open Studio: Gordon Hall, Savannah, GA, February 2006
Shop SCAD: Savannah, GA, January 2006 – 2009
Please Touch, An Exploration in Weaving: Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL, April 2000
Rug Fixer: February 2014- July 2015
Robert Mann Oriental Rugs, Denver, CO, USA
- Repair and restore Oriental carpets and Navajo rugs using various sewing and weaving techniques.
Co-Founder: May 2008- July 2009
- Organized a nation- wide, juried hand-embroidery show.
- Ran a blog featuring contemporary hand embroidery: http://www.stitchspectacular.com
Intern: January 2007- March 2007
Working Class Studios, Savannah, GA, USA
- Worked collaboratively with other students to design products for the Working Class label and other major retailers.
- Created surface design repeats in response to direction.
- Researched trends in fashion, surface design, and home interiors.
- Created a business plan for each product.
Weaving Assistant: December 2006- December 2007
T. Concha, Weaver, Savannah, GA, USA
- Assisted in restoration of Navajo blankets by hand weaving and dyeing wool.
Sewing, quilting, chemical dyeing, natural dyeing, screen printing, basic weaving (loom), hand and machine embroidery, knit, crochet, digital fabric printing, digital surface design.
ADDITIONAL ART SKILLS:
Drawing, acrylic painting, basic ceramics, basic photography, Adobe Creative Suite.
Choi, Jung-yeon, “Communication through Old Cloth: Professor Karin (낡은 천들을 통해 소통의 미학을 살리는:카린 교수)” New Looks, (July/August 2010).
Dawers, Bill, “Man About Town: As the new year begins, artists explore old media and new” Savannah Morning News, (January 2009).
Hersh, Allison, “Radical Thread”, Savannah Morning News, (January 2009).
Stevens, Kristine, “A Stitch in Time. Fiber arts show comes to Dimensions Gallery,” Connect Savannah. (January 2009): 20.
American Craft Council (ACC)
Surface Design Association (SDA)
Christians in the Visual Arts (CIVA)